Pages

Wednesday 7 December 2011

Top 5 Anime Episodes: #3

The list of my favorite anime episodes so far:

As much as I'd have liked to avoid spoilers in these posts, this concerns a series finale and as such has mega-spoilers.

Number 3:

Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water episode 39: “Successor to the Stars”.

“Successor to the Stars” has earned a place among my favorites for one very simple reason: it's the only anime episode ever that has come close to making me cry. Yes, it's true, my eyes were stinging! The sheer bittersweet emotionality of this finale is incredibly memorable and incredibly hard to surpass. It takes a veritable chain of heroic sacrifices to make sure the heroes receive their happy ending. “Successor to the Stars” gets just about everything right, but the dramatic execution is simply perfect. Along the way, the series hits one of its most awesome moments – and the final word on its themes of scientific progress and the human spirit – and gives a deliciously ironic death to its main villain, who happens to be one of my favorites in anime.

As a final note, this episode simply wouldn't be the same without the fantastic score by Shiro Sagisu. The track that plays during the climax is one of the most touching things I've heard in anime.





























0 comments:

Post a Comment